In the short story “A Perfect Day for Bananafish”, I found many similarities between the characters in this story and “The Catcher in the Rye”. I suppose these similarities aren’t coincidental because both of them are written by the same author; J.D Salinger. In "A Perfect Day for Bananafish”, there is a girl named Muriel Glass, who I think is much like Holden Caulfield. Muriel is independent and doesn’t like getting smothered with a lot of attention. Holden doesn’t enjoy attention and is independent throughout most of the book. In the book “The Catcher in the Rye”, there is a girl named Sunny who wears a green dress who Holden met in a hotel. In the short story there is also a girl who wears a green dress who Muriel met in a hotel. The last character similarity I saw between the two is between Holden’s mom and Muriel’s mom. Holden’s mom is always worried and paranoid because of her youngest son’s death. Muriel’s mom is worried about Muriel because she is thinks that Muriel’s husband isn’t mentally stable.
No comments:
Post a Comment