Chance and fate
played a large role in the short story, A
Good Man is Hard to Find. The events occurred in a domino effect. One
example of chance in the short story is when the grandmother startled the cat
on a car ride, the startled cat jumped and clawed at the driver causing him to
roll the car into a ditch. I thought it was ironic how the grandmother dressed
properly before setting out on the family trip. She figured that if she were to
die in a car crash, the people who would find her body would think of her as a
lady. What’s ironic is that she did die, but not from a car crash. This is also
an example of fate. Fate happened to be the death of this family.
When the
grandmother talks to Sammy at the diner, she tells Sammy he’s a good man because
he let two men swindle him. The grandmother thinks that being kind enough to
let a person do something that isn’t really right, means that you’re a good
person. I don’t agree with the grandmother’s definition because acting gullible
to help someone out when they are doing something bad isn’t good.
An article that
discusses A Good Man is Hard to Find, states that the grandmother is vain and
selfish until the last moment before her death. Before she was shot to death,
she reached out to try and comfort and touch her killer thinking that he was
about to cry. The touch surprised her killer and he shot her. The grandmother
showed an act of grace in her last moment.
I like how you added the part about how the grandmother was selfish until she died. I also agree with you on the chances and fates and the grandma's definition of a good man. Good job!
ReplyDeleteI like the way you described the role chance played in a good man is hard to find. Also, I see how you don't agree with the grnadmothers definition of a good man. I thought she defined him as a good man because of his kindness and his respect for others. But, I see your perspective, because sometimes even though Red Sam may have been doing something kind, its not good to teach them that it is ok to get away with that. Good job Ayisha :)
ReplyDelete