Monday, October 21, 2013

The Odyssey books 2-4

Honestly, I think The Odyssey is good so far. There are a lot of odd words that I've never heard of. But overall the story isn't confusing, actually, I think it's very good!  Something that I find annoying is the suitors trying to marry Telemachus' mother Penelope. At the meeting that Telemachus called, some suitors were extremely angry and blunt about how they did not care for Telemachus or his mother. They made it quite clear that they just wanted Ulysses' home and position of power. I was confused about the eagle omen and how the prophet knew what it meant. And once again, the suitors were rude to the prophet who advised they back off and leave Telemachus and his mother alone. I thought Telemachus was brave to gather only 20 men and set off on a journey for his father. Also, I think Telemachus has a lot to live up to by the example set by his father. It appears that Ulysseus is a well known man.

After looking at the art pictures from http://artsedge.kennedy-center.org/multimedia/LessonImages/grade-9-12/hero-multimedia-analysis/Heroes%20Depicted%20in%20Art.aspx , I thought that these pictures all had something in common. The people in the pictures are all very heroic looking. Dutiful, strong and serious (especially that Batman pic) looking. Our class came up with our own definition of a hero: A hero is a selfless person who is courageous enough to overcome fear and benefit others despite any obstacles. The fourth picture showed firemen willing to risk their lives to save someone else's. We see them rushing into the fire with a hose trying to put out the blazing car. These people are heroes. They're brave and  aren't afraid to help others. I think these pictures accurately describe what a hero is. Especially, the Batman pic!

No comments:

Post a Comment